Re: src rpm packages

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 15:03, Mike Burger wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2003, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:27, shane c branch wrote:
> > > I don't have much experience with source rpms, or rpms in general. I downloaded
> > > the src rpm package for the kernel but I can't seem to figure out how to work
> > > with it. The Red Hat site mentioned using rpm -ivh <filename>  but using this
> > > command reports an error: can't create /usr/src/.... path. I then copied the
> > > file to /usr/src and tried agian, but no luck.
> > >
> > > I have always compiled kernels from a source tarball, but I wanted to try this
> > > thinking it might be easier for a friend of mine to work with. Any help is
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > If you want to compile the kernel, don't use the source RPM (SRPM or
> > src.rpm), but instead use the 'kernel-source' binary RPM.
>
> Well, that's not necessarily true.  If you want to rebuild the stock
> kernel, but for your architecture, you'd use the src.rpm, so that you get
> Red Hat's patches and spec options.  Using the kernel-source package won't
> give you those options, by default.

The kernel-source RPM has all of the patches and also has the config
files for each of the arch/smp/bigmem combinations.  Did you bother to
look at the URL I posted?  That explains very clearly the 'best' way to
rebuild a custom kernel based on the Red Hat configurations.

There's no need to rebuild a kernel *exactly* like the Red Hat
configuration, as a --rebuild from the .src.rpm would do.  It's much
faster and simpler to download the binary RPMs.  So the only reason
you'd be rebuilding the kernel would be to change the configuration,
which can't be done with a --rebuild.

If you start out with a kernel-*.src.rpm, you have to apply the patches
yourself, or mess with the .config and .spec files manually.  With the
kernel-source RPM, and the procedure documented in the Red Hat Linux 9
Custimization Guide, you can easily modify the kernel options with
xconfig or menuconfig, and rebuild the kernel without having to deal
with the ins and outs of building your own RPMs.

--Jeremy
--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |