Re: Sendmail and Spam Assassin on firewall system

On Thursday, Jun 26, 2003, some people wrote some stuff:

That won't work without duplicating the users onto the firewall
system...which defeats the purpose of just having it as a firewall.

Hmmm, ok then check out MailScanner. It can call either spamassasin
and/or a virus scanner on all incoming mail. It integrates seamlessly
with sendmail and spamassassin. Neither need any config changes to work
with MailScanner. I believe it also works with Postfix and Exim but I
don't use those.

MailScanner uses your MTA to receive the mail, pulls it out of the receive
directory and scans it, then moves it to a separate directory for your MTA
to deliver. I would assume you could use sendmail's mailertable to
forward to the other server?

MailScanner is very easy to setup.

Yup...I had recommended either MailScanner or Amavisd, which does the same
thing.

I highly recommend checking out Astaro Security Linux. It has everything you're looking for built in (and then some), all with a unified web config interface. They have a free home user license, and reasonable prices for commercial use.

http://www.astaro.com/

They now have an online demo, in which you can take a peek through the config interface, and get a better idea of what all it does (and it does A TON of stuff :).

I'd say it is worth looking at, even if you'd rather use Red Hat in the end. I used to have a Red Hat box doing my routing/firewall/etc at home, then moved to Mandrake Multi-Network Firewall for a bit, before happening upon Astaro. I don't anticipate another change anytime in the near or far future, because it really is quite well done, and makes it much easier to manage the multitude of things it does.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>