From: Agon S. Buchholz [mailto:asb@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June 2003 12:13 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Freeze of RH9 on Dual Athlon in SMP mode

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

> Personally, I would get rid of that board and get yourself a Tyan
> Tiger MPX (2466N-4M) Board.

We have it's predecessor mobo (Tyan Tiger MP S2460), equipped with two
AMD Athlon MP 1900+ and 1 GB Samsung RAM, tried with different PSU by
Enermax and TSP with 520/550W, and it turned out to be the worst
mainboard we've ever even remotely seen; very similar problems like
Bjorn described, lots freezes, sick boot problems, probleems accessing
the BIOS or updating the Hardware Monitor in BIOS, thermal problems,
SCSI problems (Zip drives, Microtech card readers, cannot boot from scsi
cd-rom or dvd-rom drives), lockups and so on. Even by using ext3 with
journaling on RHL8 and above, there were so many freezes and lockups
that the operating system was destroyed two times (irrepairable damage
to the fs).

To get 2 (two) working boards, we had to do 6 (six) RMAs, where one
board is still on the way on the other one is currently not being used
since nobody here trusts this boards anymore. We had terrible
experiences with the Tyan support (it's a long story), which blamed
anyone else, including Adaptec, 3Com, Samsung, Enermax, etc. for
building incompatible products, and have still found no way to use this
board with DMI software due to lack of an MIF file, or to monitor the
board by using lm_sensors since there's a "DMI problem" according to the
Tyan support which causes to recognize our boards as Tyan Thunder, not
Tyan Tiger and gets thus wrong measurings.

However, the Tiger MXP might be better, but for us, as it seems, we'll
never buy Tyan products again. If you go for Tyan, make sure you buy
from a good dealer which will take the board back if it turns out to be
useless as ours and definitely avoid boards based on the AMD 760MP
chipset, it's broken in several aspects; however, the AMD 760 MPX might
be better.

Greetings, -asb

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com