Re: problems installing perl module Archive::Zip

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Tommy McNeely wrote:

> I am trying to install a program called "Amavis" (http://www.amavis.org)
> that needs a few additional perl modules including Archive::Zip ... I
> have never had any problems installing this before (it works fine in
> RedHat 8.0) ... but in RedHat 9, I get a strange problem. The "perl
> Makefile.PL" gives a bogus warning about pod2man, and creates a really
> broken Makefile... I tried this on several RedHat9 boxes.. it failed on
> all of them so far. I need to get this running ASAP, as I upgraded a
> "mail" server over the weekend, and now I cant get the virus scanner to
> work :)
>

>   CPAN.pm: Going to build N/NE/NEDKONZ/Archive-Zip-1.05.tar.gz
>
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
>
> Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
>          your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'
>
> Writing Makefile for Archive::Zip
> Makefile:88: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>   /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Can't test without successful make
> Running make install
>   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> cpan> Lockfile removed.
> # which pod2man
> /usr/bin/pod2man
> # file /usr/bin/pod2man
> /usr/bin/pod2man: a /usr/bin/perl script text executable
>

> If you want to see the broken Makefile that it generated,
> http://dccmail.net/Makefile

Set LANG=en_US or something equiv. I just fought this exact problem for the
better part of the afternoon one day last week this is a @#$%^^& UTF8 bug!!

When Red Hat put in utf8 support I thought it was a really good thing and I
still think it will someday be a really good thing. I am now thououghly
convinced it is not ready for prime time. There are just too many apps that
do not play well with it.

Oh well maybe someday.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org