Re: RedHat Linux 9.0

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:50:15PM -0400, Nicholas Parsons wrote:
> Hey William,
>
> The correct term for linux is "GNU Linux"....haha, none of that
> hurd stuff.

No it's not.  Linus owns the name "Linux" and he does not refer to it as
GNU Linux.

The kernel is Linux.  Period.  What Red Hat distributes is Red Hat Linux
9.  There is no GNU in the name.  No matter how many people want GNU
added to the name, it's Red Hat's decision on how to name their product,
and GNU is not there.  GNU isn't even mentioned on my 8.0 Professional
box unless it's in the white on grey text on the bottom that I can not
read.

IMHO, GNU doesn't belong there.  Sure, there are a lot of GNU components
there, and that work is definitely appreciated.  However, there are a
lot of other very significant components there too, and we don't call it
Red Hat GNU XFree86 KDE Gnome OpenOffice Linux.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx