Re: Clarification

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:49:40PM -0400, Tony Graham wrote:
> Can someone clarify what the correct setup for RAID is these days?
>
> There has been considerable debate on whether or not entries in the
> fstab are required for proper function of RAID.  I tend to fall in
> the camp that it doesn't since I've been running since RH7 without
> any fstab entries.  It seems to me that you MAY need fstab entries if
> your RAID volume is anything other that the root.  As I stated
> before, my RH9 system is working in this manner also with exception
> of this fstab checking code that I had to comment out of the RH9
> rc.sysinit which has had this code added since RH7.
>
> Just curious since my RAID woes thread basically went nowhere.

Let us be clear. We are talking about hardware Raid (level 5) I assume and you are
saying by some magic the Raid disk gets mounted without any entry in fstab.
I the Raid one partition or several partitions? As far as my experience goes
nothing gets mounted at boot unless it has a entry in the fstab.

Send out you fstab and the result of df or mount command and let see what exactly
you are doing.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University