[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# /etc/init.d/lpd stop
Stopping lpd: [FAILED]
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# lpq.LPRng -Plw3@xxxxx
Printer: lw3@xxxxxxxxx 'lw3_local'
Queue: no printable jobs in queue
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# lpq.cups -Plw3@xxxxx
lpq: Unable to contact server!
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]#

I believe you need cups running to detect the other cups printers on the network. I have cups running on all machins, but only one actuall has printers defined. All the other machins see the printers on that server.

Iconfigured a print on another machine, using the same queue name to check for you. I could access the queue on either server using the queue@xxxxx

Also, I need the optional port number - this way - I can tunnel my
print jobs over ssh portforwarding. (without having a local cups/lpd
running)
Why do you not want cups running locally? Wouldn't you setup the cups servers to communicate through ssh, and just submitt the jobs locally?

I'm guessing the cups version of lpq/lpr doen't have this
functionality. This is bad - esp: when redhat listed LPRng as a
depreciated package.

Check with the cups developer for a more concrete answer. They know what it can/cannot do, what is planned, and why/why not given functionaly is/is not supported.

CUPS has some nice featured, like IPP, ppd support, and automatic network discovery, but I still prefer LPRng. Especially when dealing with a mostly Solaris lp network.

-Thomas