Re: remote printing using LPRng vs cups

Doesn't work for me.

[root@xxxxxxxxx balay]# cd
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# /etc/init.d/cups stop
Stopping cups:                                             [FAILED]
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# /etc/init.d/lpd stop
Stopping lpd:                                              [FAILED]
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# lpq.LPRng -Plw3@xxxxx
Printer: lw3@xxxxxxxxx 'lw3_local'
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# lpq.cups -Plw3@xxxxx
lpq: Unable to contact server!
[root@xxxxxxxxx root]#

Also, I need the optional port number - this way - I can tunnel my
print jobs over ssh portforwarding. (without having a local cups/lpd
running)

I'm guessing the cups version of lpq/lpr doen't have this
functionality. This is bad - esp: when redhat listed LPRng as a
depreciated package.

Thanks,
Satish