parted -- functionality and documentation

  since the online docs are just plain confusing, i thought i'd ask here
to clarify.

  in the RH 9 Customization Guide, Chapter 5, "Managing Disk Storage", the
intro to parted claims that if you want to create or remove a partition,
"the device can not be in use".  this seems to suggest that the disk must
be entirely inactive, but this is clearly not true, since i've used parted
to create a new partition on my current (and only) drive on my system.
is this claim wrong, or am i reading it incorrectly?

  also, until now, when i've used "fdisk" to add a new (logical)
partition, i've always had to reboot after the fdisk before i could use
"mkfs", since the reboot apparently allows the new partition table to be
recognized by the kernel.

  i noticed recently that you don't have to reboot with parted, which
suggests that parted somehow registers the new partition table with the
kernel automatically.  can anyone explain how parted does this when fdisk
doesn't?

thanks.

rday