Re: parted -- functionality and documentation

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 04:03:10PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   since the online docs are just plain confusing, i thought i'd ask here
> to clarify.
>
>   in the RH 9 Customization Guide, Chapter 5, "Managing Disk Storage", the
> intro to parted claims that if you want to create or remove a partition,
> "the device can not be in use".  this seems to suggest that the disk must
> be entirely inactive, but this is clearly not true, since i've used parted
> to create a new partition on my current (and only) drive on my system.
> is this claim wrong, or am i reading it incorrectly?

Sorry to responds so late. I was cleaning out my mail and noticed this
one. I responded to the bug report filed about this, but I never
responded on the mailing list.

Just because something works for you, it doesn't mean it will work all
the time or with different situations.

I checked with several developers with knowledge of parted to make
sure I was correct and formulated the following explanation for why
this sentence is true.  It will appear in the next version of the
manual:

"The partition table should not be modified while in use because the
kernel may not properly recognize the changes. Data could be
overwritten by writing to the wrong partition because the partition
table and partitions mounted do not match."

Better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Tammy