RE: RH9.2 and MySQL and Java

Mike Kenny - CPX Mngd Services said:
> Yes I did mean 9 - sorry I had been using 7.2 previously and just couldn't
> let go of the 2 :-)
>
> As for the JVM, I assumed there was one as the java and javac commands
> were
> supported. java -version reports itself to be 'java version 1.3.1'.
> Perhaps
> somebody doctored the CDs before I received them in an effort to make my
> life easier.
>
> And thanks for the information on IBM's JVM - it is nice to know it isn't
> something I am doing wrong.

It appears I stand corrected:

[whooper@xxxxxxxx whooper]$ rpm -qilp jdkgcj-0.2.3-5.i386.rpm
Name        : jdkgcj                       Relocations: /usr
Version     : 0.2.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5                             Build Date: Sat 15 Feb 2003
12:39:28 PM EST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM:
jdkgcj-0.2.3-5.src.rpm
Size        : 3624                             License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 24 Feb 2003 01:27:20 AM EST, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.arklinux.org/projects/jdkgcj
Summary     : A free Java SDK
Description :
jdkgcj provides an interface to gcj that is compatible with the Sun and IBM
Java Development Kits (JDKs).
jdkgcj provides the javac, java and javah tools as well as jni.h, allowing
you to compile java extensions using JNI.
/usr/bin/java
/usr/bin/javac
/usr/bin/javah
/usr/include/java
/usr/include/javax
/usr/include/jni.h
/usr/include/jvmpi.h

I would say that the version "1.3.1" is for Sun compatibility reasons.
--
William Hooper