Re: Opteron and RH a Good choice?

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 20:22, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a avaliable or planned version of RH compiled to run at 64-bit on
> AMD Opteron?
>
> We are looking to buy a server with this procesor.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.

I recently bought two servers with dual 1.4GHz Opteron with the Tyan
motherboard and Adaptec 2110S SCSI RAID.  The motherboard and processors
are EXTREMELY FAST and work perfectly for my server purposes in pure
32bit Red Hat Linux 9, but unfortunately dpt_i2o driver doesn't work
when the kernel is compiled for amd64 yet.

I booted RH GinGin64 technology preview on the server with an IDE disk,
and I've NEVER had such a fast server in my house before.  (Only $2,500
too.)  While it is neat to play with, even if the dpt_i2o driver were
stable I wouldn't use it as a production server since it is not a real
release, only a technology preview.

I am using one box at home for development and testing for a few months
while the other is going into production immediately as an e-mail server
running 32bit Red Hat Linux 9.  RH9 treats it as a plain (although
stinking fast) Athlon.

If you are going for AMD64 for any brand of Linux and you want to run
64bit Linux immediately, make sure your devices are already supported by
the kernel first.  If I had known that these Adaptec drivers were
inoperative in AMD64 mode, I would have chosen different SCSI RAID
controllers.

I suspect that after a few months these problems will be fixed and I
would be able to hack together a working AMD64 Red Hat Linux based
install for my home workstation, but I personally am waiting for RHEL
for AMD64 before switching to 64bit in production servers.

AMD isn't kidding when they claim to be the fastest 32bit servers on the
market.  Think of it as Athlon on steroids, not very expensive, and with
64bit room to grow later with only a software upgrade.

Warren Togami
warren@xxxxxxxxxx