Re: 4 problems

  > Rather than wasting space I decided to combine 4
  > things into one. I apologize if this is a problem.
  > A. I installed 18-9 with up2date and it booted. I
  >    couldn't figure out how to get rid of 13-9 but

"rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-13-9" should work.

  >    I deleted it from grub without removing it from
  >    where-ever it is on the box. Now 18-9 brings up
  >    error 15 on boot "file not found". The other two
  >    OS's on the box boot fine.

I found that GRUB can be sensitive to spaces/comments in its
configuration file. Make sure the format of each OS in grub.conf is
identical.

The troubleshooting section of the GRUB manual
(http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html#Troubleshooting)
says that Error 15 means:

   15 : File not found
   This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found,
   but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.

Which file is it looking for? You have two working OSs (hopefully
Linux), so compare one of the working systems to 18-9.

  > B. I get a "cannot stat /dev/cdrom no such file or
  >    directory" (fstab)

Did your CD-ROM work before your upgrade? (BTW, I'm assuming that you
did not just upgrade your kernel from Valhalla to Shrike. That's
unlikely to work. You should go the full upgrade route.)

  > C. How do I restore the red hat icon on the panel?
  > D. What is the proceedure for manually doing updates
  >    say for Valhalla

Do you mean updating Valhalla to Shrike? Boot from a Shrike CD. I don't
think that you can duplicate the installation process with just a series
of RPM commands.

  >    Again I apologize if a one at a time submission
  >    would be better.

No need to. Most of us know how to respond to portions of an email
message without generating confusion.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@xxxxxxx
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014