Re: RH9 Printer Sharing Problem

> > Hello all,
> > I have an RH9 setup as a cups printserver on a lan.
> > An HP2100 named hp2100 is locally connected and shared
> > (with lpd enabled) using the Gnome printer configuration tool.
> > Local printing works fine but the sharing isn't working.
> >
> > A sniffer running on the server machine shows the requests
> > coming in and the lpd sending a message back:
> > "Spool queue for hp2100 does not exist on server dt2.  Non-
> > existent printer or you need to run checkpc -f."
> >
> > Both cupsd and lpd are running on the server with no command
> > line arguments.
> >
> > /var/spool/cups and /var/spool/lpd directories exist but
> > only the former seems to be used and only by local printing.
>
> You can't run both cups and lpd at the same time. You have to
> choose one or the other. Since you want a cups printserver,
> the next step is to stop lpd, and have the incoming requests
> be pointed at cups.
>
> Success, Willem Riede.

Thanks, Willem for the lightning response.
OK, I killed lpd on the server and restarted cups.
Now the connection is being refused by the server.
This happens for lpq as well as for print jobs.

Printer: hp2100@xxxxxxxxx (dest hp2100@xxx)
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
09:23:26.057
Printer 'hp2100@xxx' - cannot open connection - Connection refused

There is no firewall in place on either machine.

port 515 isn't commented out for tcp or udp in
/etc/services.

According to the RH Customization Guide, you are
supposed to be able to enable the lpd protocol by
checking a box in the sharing dialog.  I have it set for
ALL hosts allowed.