Re: Unknown HD Error

Price Technology wrote:
On Saturday 07 June 2003 08:45, Blaise Pascal wrote:

I can't believe my hard drive (IBM Travelstar 40GB,
5400RPM) would be going bad already, because I bought
it two months ago from newegg.com.

Which means absolutely nothing. It never ceases to amaze me the high failure rate we geeks tolerate.

Anyway, go to IBM's website and download the diags if there's even the slightest possibility the issue could be hardware related. If nothing else, you can eliminate it from the picture.

Joebewan

I've replaced about a hundred of the IBM Travelstars. They use them on win2000 machines. What appears to be hapening is that there is a coating that builds up on the circuit board. If you remove the coating. It will work again. Now that the travelstar is available from Hitachi, it appears that the conformal coating is a bit better.

If I read correctly, there is a three year warranty on these drives. I never claimed the warranty service. These are for a Noregian based product. They are sent back to Oslo for evaluation.

Does anyone know of a reliable make for 2.5 inch drives? These drives are used with a single board Juki PCISA CPU board.

To remove the coating. If you don't send the unit back for warranty credit, I used a regular school type eraser. This was just to check the event log. Sometimes there are disk and atapi errors. Other times there is nothing at all related to the disk failure.

Jim

PS - Hoping they switch to Linux for an OS.