Unknown HD Error

I have been randomly getting this error while RH9
boots up on my IBM ThinkPad T23 (Pentium III-1ghz, 1GB
RAM).  Here's an excerpt from DMESG:

****
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=11793199, sector=11551232
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector
11551232
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=11793199, sector=11551240
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector
11551240
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
****

This occur at random times.  At all other times, there
is an unusual pause (a few seconds) occuring where the
HD Errors would appear, with no output, sort of like
this:

****
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
(PAUSE: NO OUTPUT)
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
****

I can't believe my hard drive (IBM Travelstar 40GB,
5400RPM) would be going bad already, because I bought
it two months ago from newegg.com.  One thing I tried
was to get the correct HD utility for the drive, run
the tests, and do a low level format (I know, it's
overkill).  There were no errors to be found then.
Unfortunately, after reinstalling RH9, the HD error
appeared again, at random times.

There is no swap partition or swap file.  DMA is
enabled (automatically, I understand).  I didn't edit
the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks file or added the
"options" line into /etc/modules (like I used to have
done in RH8).

I would appreciate any assistance you all could give.
Thank you.

BP

=====
Blaise Pascal
pascal256@xxxxxxxxx

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.