Re: Help: lpd Won't Start

Warren Clearfield wrote:

Right now none of the printer services will start. I don't know what to do
about 'cannot bind to lpd port 515'. As far as I know all services related
to printing have been activated. The original printer setup (one local
printer) was done using the graphical setup tool (cups, I thought). Any
suggestions on how to diagnose and fix the fatal binding error? Are there
any alternative print services that I can activate?

There are two main reasons why a process can't bind to port 515.

1. It's not running as root. I presume you're trying to start the printer services as root.

2. Something else is already listening on that port. It's easy to find out what do "/usr/sbin/lsof -i:515" (as root). Whatever it is that's listening in port 515 that isn't the printing services probably shouldn't.

CUPS is the preferred printing service on RH9 and it does seem to be a significant improvement over LPRng so you probably do want to be running that. I think you can safely "rpm -e LPRng". Interestingly, cupsd doesn't listen on port 515 anyway, it listens on port 631 (IPP), both UDP and TCP.

jch

jch