Re: GeeXboX (linux multimedia)

On May 31, Jesse Keating wrote:

I'm seriously going to bring this up to my company and see if we can't launch
a test market.

Okay. Nearly 3 solid days of mucking with it, and I have MythTV all set up and working, including ALSA, a WinTV PVR-250 w/the new remote fully functional, TV-out, etc. NOT an easy thing to set up, partially due to my choice of hardware (most of which requires CVS versions of assorted software), partially because of numerous dependencies, and partially because doing things in the right order is critical. It ought to get easier as the various packages involved mature, and/or someone makes them all into rpms... There's always mondo to clone additional ones, if you were trying to sell lots of these with identical hardware.

No picnic, but WAY COOL once it is working. The video capture quality of the PVR-250 is outstanding, and everything looks awesome on my TV (47" Panasonic HDTV; connected via s-video out on GeForce 4 Ti). Honestly, once everything is set up, the system is fairly idiot-proof, does everything you'd expect and does it well.

If anyone is interested, I documented just about every step along the way to getting this to work, compiling something resembling a howto for RHL9/MythTV/PVR-250, I guess. Some of the info was out there already, some of it wasn't, and most of it wasn't all in the same place. I'd suggest emailing me off-list if you want it though, because it is a rather LONG document...
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>