Re: License status of StarOffice 5.2

John Haxby schrieb:

Forget StarOffice. It's been replaced by OpenOffice which is shipped with RH8 and RH9.

Ther were, I believe, two versions of Star Office, one that you could pay money for and one that you could download for nothing. The one that came with RH7 you could download for nothing. Star Office was then bought out by Sun who said that they were going to make it Open Source and OpenOffice was born. Somewhere along the line I think we lost the mail client (no great loss) and the database application (it was, I believe, based on dbVista which isn't Open Source). So unless you're desparate for the database or a broken mail client, forget StarOffice 5.2 ...

star-office 1.x - 4.x [non-free] was star-software germany --> www.starmoney.de
so 5.2 [was free] --> www.sun.com
splitted in:

www.openoffice.org [free] <> http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/index.html [non-free]