Re: RPM documentation

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 19:55, Brent Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 12:28, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > You're totally right.  I'll forward a copy of this email over to the
> > > Docs group and see if they can do anything to help.
> >
> > from my experience, i think there should be at least a couple levels
> > of RPM documentation.
> >
> > first, there's just plain "rpm" usage, for
> > installing/upgrading/freshening/removing/querying.
> >
> > a *slightly* more sophisticated second level would be installing
> > and building source RPMs, although this is almost indistinguishable
> > from the first level, perhaps adding in additional info for building
> > for a specific architecture.
> >
> > finally, there's docs to build your own RPMs.
> >
> > at a minimum, the first (and second) levels should be *very* well
> > documented and come with the RH distros.
>

> I think the first level already exists at:
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-rpm.html

That mostly covers the basic needs for just using rpm, though some
"power query" examples wouldn't hurt - my main gripe (which is really an
issue of rpm itself but since it is as is...) is that something like
"rpm -q --whatrequires openssl" doesn't give you the slightest clue what
packages *really* require openssl, to get that information you need to
do something like "rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides openssl`"

> To me, the second and third levels are basically the same thing.  The
> only difference is that in the second level you already have a spec file
> to work from and in the third you have to create a spec file.  I think
> that they could be collapsed into one section.
>
> Basically, divide it the way that RPM itself is now divided...rpm and
> rpmbuild.  That's what makes sense to me anyway.

More or less yes, but doing a simple "rpmbuild --rebuild foo.src.rpm" in
my mind falls under *using* rpm than developing or packaging for it.
Packaging *good* rpm's is more or less an art of it's own and would
deserve a whole book of it's own. For such material I think it's very
much ok to tell people to "buy the book", RH doesn't come with a printed
gcc manual either.

	- Panu -