Re: RPM documentation

On 4 Jun 2003, Brent Fox wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 11:29, guest wrote:
> > The book looks great and I have no problem paying for a well written
> > tomb that organizes everything in one place.  However it seems to me the
> > raw information should be available some place in the distribution even
> > if its a cryptic man page.   My look shows them to be out of date or
> > incomplete. Thats understandable for some of the 1000's of packages in
> > the distribution with  harried upstream maintainers that sometimes fall
> > back on "read the source."  But for the Package Manager itself, a RH
> > creation and now part of the LSB, we shouldn't have to go Amazon for
> > essentials.
>
> You're totally right.  I'll forward a copy of this email over to the
> Docs group and see if they can do anything to help.

from my experience, i think there should be at least a couple levels
of RPM documentation.

first, there's just plain "rpm" usage, for
installing/upgrading/freshening/removing/querying.

a *slightly* more sophisticated second level would be installing
and building source RPMs, although this is almost indistinguishable
from the first level, perhaps adding in additional info for building
for a specific architecture.

finally, there's docs to build your own RPMs.

at a minimum, the first (and second) levels should be *very* well
documented and come with the RH distros.

rday