Re: RPM documentation

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 12:28, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2003, Brent Fox wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 11:29, guest wrote:
> > > The book looks great and I have no problem paying for a well written
> > > tomb that organizes everything in one place.  However it seems to me the
> > > raw information should be available some place in the distribution even
> > > if its a cryptic man page.   My look shows them to be out of date or
> > > incomplete. Thats understandable for some of the 1000's of packages in
> > > the distribution with  harried upstream maintainers that sometimes fall
> > > back on "read the source."  But for the Package Manager itself, a RH
> > > creation and now part of the LSB, we shouldn't have to go Amazon for
> > > essentials.
> >
> > You're totally right.  I'll forward a copy of this email over to the
> > Docs group and see if they can do anything to help.
>
> from my experience, i think there should be at least a couple levels
> of RPM documentation.
>
> first, there's just plain "rpm" usage, for
> installing/upgrading/freshening/removing/querying.
>
> a *slightly* more sophisticated second level would be installing
> and building source RPMs, although this is almost indistinguishable
> from the first level, perhaps adding in additional info for building
> for a specific architecture.
>
> finally, there's docs to build your own RPMs.
>
> at a minimum, the first (and second) levels should be *very* well
> documented and come with the RH distros.

I think the first level already exists at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-rpm.html

To me, the second and third levels are basically the same thing.  The
only difference is that in the second level you already have a spec file
to work from and in the third you have to create a spec file.  I think
that they could be collapsed into one section.

Basically, divide it the way that RPM itself is now divided...rpm and
rpmbuild.  That's what makes sense to me anyway.

Cheers,
   Brent