RE: Hang when mounting SMB shares

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 02:58, Y Makki wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem.

the client is 2 RHL9 with all errata.
as a workstation installation. on differnet hardware.

i use
security = server   (also tried with security=domain behave the same)
password server = 192.168.1.10 (tried with netbios name too)
wins server = 192.168.1.10

i have tried with adding names to hosts and lmhosts file to avoid name
lookup problems.

the w2k server is also the only ip in the resolv.conf file

the password server is a w2k server
and this server works fine against RHL 7.2 - 7.3 - 8

the samba server is a rhl 7.3 with all errata,
and a gentoo linux with a barebone system + samba.
the RHL9 client behaves identical against both servers.

the behavior is as folows.

i always try to mount/umount the same share over and over again

every second/third mount couses the mount to hang, i can return to the
prompt with ctrl+c

i have tried using
-fstab  (hang on boot)
-autofs  (hang when entering directory)
-mount -t smbfs   (hang on command line)

all behave in same fashion and create the same prosesses

if the mount goes well i end up with one mount.smbfs prosess running as
a 'deamon' with PPID = 1
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME
COMMAND
1     0  4464     1  24   0  4488 1696 pause  S    ?          0:00
/sbin/mount.smbfs //filsrv/linux /mnt/filsrv/linux/ -o rw userna
me ronny password XXXXX

pstree output
|├─mount.smbfs

as expected

if it hangs i have 2 mount.smbfs and my hanging mount command like this

F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME
COMMAND
0     0  4261  3645  15   0  3460  480 wait4  S    pts/0      0:00 mount
-t smbfs //filsrv/linux /mnt/filsrv/linux/ -o
username=ronny,password=ronny
4     0  4262  4261  22   0  4612 1804 schedu S    pts/0      0:00
/sbin/mount.smbfs //filsrv/linux /mnt/filsrv/linux/ -o rw username ronny
password XXXXX
1     0  4263  4262  22   0  4488 1696 pause  S    ?          0:00
/sbin/mount.smbfs //filsrv/linux /mnt/filsrv/linux/ -o rw username ronny
password XXXXX

pstree output
|├─gnome-terminal─┬─bash───su───bash───mount───mount.smbfs───mount.smbfs

the mount point function as normal and i can read/read write files in
both conditions.

i can provide a strace on request.

it seams like the last mount.smbfs dosn't go deamon properly.

anyone have anything else i can try? i'm running out of ideas.

adding & isn't an option, it returns to the shell ofcouse, but the
prosess is hanging in the background.

mvh
Ronny Aasen

--