Re: users and fetchmail questions

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Rigoberto de la Cruz wrote:

> may be this is not the best place to ask, but I have asked other places
> and haven't received any help. I've been using linux for about a year and
> a half using only 2 different users, root and my rrigo. Afet getting a
> little faster connection, I want to try different things. First, I want to
> create a user that has very little privilages, so that a friend can
> connect to my computer using ssh. This way, he can upload and download
> files, but cannot do any su, etc. how do I this? also, how do I forward

Are you sure this is really necessary?? If he does not have the passwd he can
try but no joy. Besides if he is supposed to be a "friend" why are you afraid
he is going to try to hack?? Having said all of this look at a "man bash"
and search for "RESTRICTED SHELL"

> all of root's mail to my mail? Is there any way to create an email address

If using sendmail the easiest way is to create a .forward file in /root
that contains the email address of the user you want the mail forwarded to.
If using postfix modify the root alias in /etc/postfix/aliases to poing to
the correct user. Do not forget to run postalias on the aliases file.

> with out creating a shell account (and also using squirrelmail)? I tried
> to search for some documentation in users adminitration, but didn't find
> anything. any pointers? and last thing is.. how do I make fetchmail run as
> a daemon?

>From the fetchmail man page:
DAEMON MODE
       The  --daemon  <interval>  or -d <interval> option runs fetchmail in daemon mode.  You
       must specify a numeric argument which is a polling interval in seconds.

       In daemon mode, fetchmail puts itself in background and runs  forever,  querying  each
       specified host and then sleeping for the given polling interval.

       Simply invoking

              fetchmail -d 900

       will,  therefore,  poll  all  the  hosts described in your ~/.fetchmailrc file (except
       those explicitly excluded with the `skip' verb) once every fifteen minutes.

       It is possible to set a polling interval in your ~/.fetchmailrc file  by  saying  `set
       daemon <interval>', where <interval> is an integer number of seconds.  If you do this,
       fetchmail will always start in daemon mode unless you override it  with  the  command-
       line option --daemon 0 or -d0.

       Only  one daemon process is permitted per user; in daemon mode, fetchmail makes a per-
       user lockfile to guarantee this.

See man fetchmail for more info.

HTH,

--
......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)