Re: new beta?

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 10:50, Warren Togami wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 21:30, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > It might be a good idea to make 2.5/2.6-test rpm's available to increase
> > bug feedback though. Thinking about making them myself, as soon as the
> > more extreme disk corruption problems are ironed out...
> Are there still extreme disk corruption issues in the 2.5 kernel?  I
> thought after they reverted to the old IDE layer rather than attempt the
> rewrite things were considered "stable enough to generally not corrupt
> your filesystem"?

Generally it seems. I'm not a real kernel hacker (although I play one on
mailing lists ;) but if I read Andrew Morton's 2.6 TODO list correctly
there's still some cases where it can screw up your filesystem...

> I am very interested in one day making a test 2.5 kernel RPM compiled
> for different archs for testing purposes, along with modified
> initscripts to the handle the kernel and module changes.  Would you and
> perhaps other people be interested in working together on this type of
> mini-project?

I think the best time would be when Linus announces 2.6-test and the
users instead of developers should start to wrinkle out the remaining
bugs. Drop me a mail if you'd like some help.

greets,
Klaasjan