Re: Sendmail - allowing external relaying

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Ronald Hawkins wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> If I have missed an earlier post, I apologize but I have grep'd the archives and did not find my answer.
>
> First let me state that sendmail is accepting connections from external interfaces and I am receiving all of my sites mail AFAIK.
>
> The question is "How do I change the default sendmail.mc file to allow external local machines to relay mail through my mail gateway?"  This has only become a problem since a fresh install of RHL 9.0.... and is probably something really simple that I have just overlooked but I am stumped.

Investigate using POP-Before-SMTP, SMTP-AUTH (authenticated SMTP) or make
sure that your external users are on static IPs.

You do not, under any circumstances, want to must make your server into an
open relay.  If you do, you can guarantee that you will see at least
one the following happen:

A) your mail server will wind up listed in at least one of the relay
blocking lists, which will result in

B) mail from your servers will start being rejected by mail servers making
   use of those blocking lists

C) spammers will find out that your mail server is an open relay and
   they'll begin to relay their junk mail through your server, which will
   result in

D) your bandwidth will get chewed up

E) you will lose good will among your internet neighbors

Really...using an authenticated method for relay is the smartest and only
way to go, to allow those external clients to relay, and to protect your
system and network.

For a POP-Before-SMTP option, do a google search on relaypopd.  For
SMTP-AUTH, you'll want to do a google search for smtp-auth.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe