Re: PDA Recommendation

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 17:47, Price Technology wrote:

> It looks like I'm going to have to break down and purchase a PDA

> I'd like recommendations from folks who are actually using them

> Input from the crowd please.

	I am currently using two:  a Palm V and a spankin'-new Tungsten C.  The
Palm V is reasonably supported under RH9 - by "reasonable" I mean that I
use Evolution, under gnome, which means gpilotd for the conduits and
sync'ing.  The Palm V uses a serial-port.  Functionality is lower than
you get with Windows.

	The Tungsten... I love colour, and with the 802.11, I can actually do a
bit of stuff wirelessly around our campus.  I find it most-useful for
reference info that I put on my own web-site; for actual browsing it's a
bit annoying to only see half-width much of the time (it does scroll
easily side-to-side, but still...).  I can also jot off a quick e-mail,
and send that.

	The Graffiti handwriting recognition is very similar between the two,
and I found it very intuitive to pick up on.  Both my Palm's have
Graffiti crib-sheets affixed inside the covers - helpful for characters
that you cannot remember how to form.
	I am getting accustomed to the small thumb-keyboard on the Tungsten C.
In fact, I find myself using that very often.

	However - the Tungsten C doesn't seem to be supported under RH9 at all
:-(  There are some patches I've google-found, but I focus my energies
elsewhere.

	You are right though - both Palms play very, very well under Windows.
I wish Palm would produce/release a Desktop tool for Linux too...

	As for "what do I do with my Palms" - One of my hats is admin'ing our
Research Network (~25 servers / 4TB).  So, I keep IP-addresses,
machine-names, passwords, and other relevant info on my Palm.  In fact,
this was the main force behind getting a Palm.  To encrypt/store this
stuff, I use a Palm package called 'yaps'.

	Beyond that, I jot lots of memos (many of which are shopping lists: for
work-related materials, food, home-reno projects, etc :-) ).

	Again, I love the colour display of the Tungsten.  On both, I love the
fact that neither is running WinCE :-)  (once upon a time, I was
enamoured with the Agenda VR3, because it was running Linux, but they
fell upon rough times).

	HTH,
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers