Re: Netscape 7.1

Brian Masinick wrote:

Several subscribers to the list have noted and complained that Netscape 7.1 will not work properly with Red Hat 9. I can confirm that as well, and also note that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that was recently released by Sun will not work with Netscape 7.1 on any system that I've tried so far. I haven't checked this week to see if the JRE issue has been resolved or not, but I can confirm that installing the Netscape 7.1 suite introduces problems with Red Hat 9 that are not seen with either Netscape 7.02 or earlier releases of Mozilla. I can't recall whether or not I tried to install Mozilla 1.4 on Red Hat 9 or not. My suspicion is that it, too, would likely encounter the same problems, but I can not say that with certainty until I review what I've actually tested.

Actually mozilla 1.4 is working fine here, as is netscape 7.02 -

It's just that netscape 7.1 crashes and burns at startup -

Of course, I compiled the mozilla 1.4 rawhide source rpm on RH 9, so it ought to work.

You make a good point about java, I'll try netscape 7.1 without the jvm and see...

Joe