Re: Netscape 7.1

I just installed the redhat mozilla 1.4 rpm on my rh9 (2.4.20-18.9) box. I can't seem to get the jre plugin to work either.

I relinked the java plugin to /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins

Is there a fix for this?

thanks

Brian Masinick wrote:

Several subscribers to the list have noted and complained that Netscape 7.1 will not work properly with Red Hat 9. I can confirm that as well, and also note that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that was recently released by Sun will not work with Netscape 7.1 on any system that I've tried so far. I haven't checked this week to see if the JRE issue has been resolved or not, but I can confirm that installing the Netscape 7.1 suite introduces problems with Red Hat 9 that are not seen with either Netscape 7.02 or earlier releases of Mozilla. I can't recall whether or not I tried to install Mozilla 1.4 on Red Hat 9 or not. My suspicion is that it, too, would likely encounter the same problems, but I can not say that with certainty until I review what I've actually tested.

I can successfully run Netscape 7.1 on systems that have a 2.4.18 Linux kernel, and I can also run it on some systems with a 2.4.20 kernel. I've been able to use the 7.1 release with Lycoris Desktop/LX, Mandrake 9.1, and Libranet 2.0 (with numerous Debian updates). Perhaps a common thread of what works, what doesn't work, and why, will soon become evident.