Re: Mplayer

joe wrote:

Norman E. Brake, Jr. wrote:

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 13:58, joe wrote:

Does that configuration let you watch movie trailers at quicktime.com?

No, The trailers seem to fire up xine which doesn't speak quicktime.
I haven't looked very hard for the matching helper app definition. MPEG
and AVI go to mplayer but I've forgotten where I set that. I didn't
care about quicktime at the time.

xine speaks quicktime (well, not the crippled xine shipped by redhat) but the quicktime site seems to want a plugin rather than a helper app (I know, why should they care) - the mplayer plugin works fine with all that, and I hear gxine can do the same thing now. My problem is that mplayer-plugin and mozpugger have certain conflicts - for instance I haven't found a configuration that lets me see quicktime movie previews AND hear embedded mp3s in web pages.

For now, I forego the joy of embedded mp3 in favor of being able to see quicktime movie trailers, and hopefully the rest will be sorted out eventually.

Joe

Personally I think plugger is a big waste of time, even if you do get it to work right it does all sorts of stupid stuff, with mozilla anyway. I have found that removing plugger and setting up external helper apps in mozilla is the best.

Plugger is on my list of things to remove after an install along with magicdev and autorun. They are all things that try to simplify an already super simple thing and just end up creating complications.