Re: borderless printing: recommendations, and comments onprinters, please!

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 06:42, Elton Woo wrote:
> Any of you folks doing borderless prints?
> I'd appreciate some recommendations and comments on
> printers, *specifically* WRT the following points:
>
> 1) USB printer? (or combination parallel-port/usb?)
> 2) Ink economy: is the cartridge refillable (*never mind* the usual
> interdiction from the manufacturer!)
> 3) Borderless printing (regular prints, and photographs)
> 4) Price vs TCO?
>
> TIA,
>
> Elton ;-)

Hi Elton,

You definitely want to look at Epson (Stylus) printers too. Did you have
a look on www.linuxprinting.org, especially the database? The people
from the gimp-print project (gimp-print.sf.net) are very positive about
Epson printers and afaik they provide the most features for them. They
are very affordable and the ink tax is not as high as HP's. So if you
want the best photo printer in terms of support & features on Linux I
think Epson is the way to go. As a "normal" printer they do an excellent
job also. I have an HP DJ5550 myself and although it does everything
quite well (not outstanding), the ink is just ridiculously expensive.
The next beta from RH will probably incorporate a new HPIJS driver, new
foomatic database, new gimp-print, ghostscript, etc. That will improve
print quality and enhance the feature set automagically.

Hope this helps,
Patrick