Re: random thoughts on playing with 2.5 kernels

** Reply to message from Robert L Cochran <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:09:35 -0400

> I'm running 2.5.74 that I compiled myself using a config adapted from
> the one posted by Robert Day. This is on an old Dell XPS T550 machine.
> So far, the stock Red Hat USB keyboard and USB mouse configurations fail
> on startup, and the Yamaha YMF724 sound driver isn't initialized and
> thus sound doesn't work.

The module name for the usb drivers have changed for 2.5 lernels. They are now uhci-hcd, ohci-hcd and ehci-hcd. Load the *-hcd modules required for your system in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and you'll be fine. I think the initscripts will need to be tweaked eventually. As for sound, I just set up ALSA with OSS emulation yesterday and the only thing that doesn't work is the PC speaker :))

jb