Can't get resolution above 8x6

Just reinstalled Shrike on this box, Everything install, all updates installed
as well.

Can't get my resolution above 800x600.  Switching via the GUI changes nothing.
Resorted to command line (redhat-config-xfree86) which also changes nothing.
Manually edited the config file and included 1024x768 in the list of
resolutions, which shows up in the GUI, but doesn't go there.   ctrl+alt+plus
sign cycles through 6x4 and 8x6 but not 10x7.

This same system was running 10x7 just fine before I reinstalled.  Monitor is
bohemian brand (not that it matters, which it doesn't) and is listed as
"unknown".

The only difference I can think of is that I had another monitor attached at
install time for the previous install and then switched to this one after the
fact.  Best I recall it was "unknown" as well.

I suppose I could try attaching that monitor again, but the silly thing's so
heavy I have to hire someone to tote it for me.

Any suggestions ???

Joebewan