Re: Seril ATA. Anyone using the new Hard Drives?

On Friday 04 July 2003 07:16, Gustave wrote:
> Is anyone using the new Serial ATA drives with RH 9?
>
> Looking to make sure some people have had some success before dumping the
> money on one.
>
> Is SATA built into the stock RH kernels?

We have a few storage servers that are serial based that we sell where I work
(Pogo Linux).  We will _only_ use the 3ware SATA controllers.  The controller
itself uses the same driver that the parallel card does, so needless to say
there is 0 work needed to be done to install/use these cards.  SATA is really
neat for hotswap, and there is a _slight_ performance bump as well.  My
personal opinion though is that unless you want hotswap, or a cooler case
(SATA takes less power, so they run cooler) then SATA isn't really usefull,
given the higher cost, lower capacity, and the problems with the
connectivity.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net