Don't fully understyand 'umask' option for VFAT mounting

I wish to mount my windows partition to /mnt/windows such that only users of the group 'windows' can access (or at least, write) to it.

I've specified uid=nobody,gid=windows (by number) and a umask that appears to give me the perms. I desire (upon ls -l /mnt/windows).

However, the mount point umask setting not only applies to the existing files, but to newly created files - even though my a/c is in the windows group, when I create a file (e.g., touch) the file's created with, e.g., a group perm. of '4' (read only). So any files I create cannot be updated (although I can delete them as the dir. exists with rwx).

Anyone any clues? Is it my choice of 'nobody' as mount point uid that's mucking things up? I've tried numerous variations of mount's umask and my process's umask to no avail.

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature