Re: Don't fully understyand 'umask' option for VFAT mounting

Neil,

>> I wish to mount my windows partition to /mnt/windows such that only users of the group 'windows' can access (or at least, write) to it. <<

I hope to be corrected if there's a better way.

I have a server directory that's shared using SAMBA for the Windows boxes and NFS for the Linux boxes.

In order to get some consistency between the workstation platforms, I set the directory permissions this way:

owner = root
group = staff
permissions = rwxrwS = 2770

That gives full control (rwx) to root and the group staff. Then the Set GID bit forces all _new_ files to be group staff and owned by the file creator.

After a little experimenting in /etc/samba/smb.conf, I got the windows users to act the same way.

I don't know what you can do when stating with a fat32 partition. I trust others know those limitations.

Cliff Kent