Logitech MX700 on rh9 -- or Buttons, buttons, who uses the buttons?

My wife has just presented me with a Logitech MX700 mouse.

Very nice.  Optical. Wireless.  scroll and 2 buttons work nicely.

HOWEVER, this is an 8-button mouse.

I RTFM'ed last night but so far haven't found anything really useful on getting
the other buttons recognized and/or working under X.  Also to be honest, I
haven't seen any apps that are crying out for more than the usual number of
buttons plus scrolling wheel.

Any pointers on HOWTO's on this one (and suggestions for uses on the buttons)
would be greatly appreciated.  I'm using KDE desktop at the moment (haven't had
any luck getting e17 working on RH 9 so far) and am not sufficiently expert in
kde to know (and haven't found anything on it so far) how *it* deals with
additional buttons either.  (had old logitech 4 button / no scroll-wheel mouse
working under e16: same tricks do not appear to work now... sigh.)

Thanks in advance

Bill Austin							waustin@xxxxxxx
	"'Correct usage' is the dialect of the class that has the army."
		-- R.A. Heinlein