Re: Logitech MX700 on rh9 -- or Buttons, buttons, who uses the buttons?

On 30 Apr 2003 12:37:44 (+/-), Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 12:32, William W. Austin wrote:
> > My wife has just presented me with a Logitech MX700 mouse.
> >
> > Very nice.  Optical. Wireless.  scroll and 2 buttons work nicely.
> >
> > HOWEVER, this is an 8-button mouse.
> >
> > I RTFM'ed last night but so far haven't found anything really useful on
getting
> > the other buttons recognized and/or working under X.
(SNIP)

> > Any pointers on HOWTO's on this one
(SNIP)
> > ....  (had old logitech 4 button / no scroll-wheel mouse
> > working under e16: same tricks do not appear to work now... sigh.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> In the "InputDevice" "Mouse0" section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config, below
> the "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> Add:
>
> Option "Buttons" "8"
>
> You should know however, that even though X may recognize all 8 buttons,
> it doesn't mean that programs will accept or recognize them. Many things
> limit their support to no more than 3-5 buttons.

Thanks for the replies (there were several off and on list).

Actually, the 'Option "Buttons" "8" line is exactly what I had already
added to my XF86Config file; however, not even xev can pick up events
from the extra buttons (that is, the two thumb buttons or the "fartherest
back" button behind the wheel).  Guess I'll have to go back through
the code in the X source tree to find out what I'm doing wrong there.

There really are *very* few apps (that I've seen, anyway) which actually
can use extra buttons ... a long time ago (forever in computer
years), I had doctored a couple of games to use the (4th)
thumb button on my ancient logitech 4-button mouse; but besides that
I've only seen (I think) two that could do anything useful with them.

HOWEVER, when I was using enlightenment(e16) as a WM, I had diddled
a bit and actually had uses for the extra button there.  One thing I
was trying to find out was whether any apps were out there which were
multi-button enabled... I guess that still hasn't changed much.