Re: bash/terminal issue

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:31:39PM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > Do you mean that only root can run /sbin/ifup? That only depends on
> > > the permissions of ifup. Allow any user to execute it and then make
> > > it SUID root and you will be able to run it. If you put /sbin in your
> > > path and you can run it as just ifup. Install modem lights on your
> > > panel and you can run it with a click of your mouse,
> >
> > I don't think this will work.  For one thing, you're not supposed to make
> > scripts suid.
> You arr right. I forgot that ifup is a script. But you allow users to
> execute it.

Yes.  But to allow users to do the things that root needs to do in ifup,
ifup calls /usr/sbin/usernetctl, which is binary and setuid.  Getting that
to bring up the interface requires the aforementioned USERCTL=yes in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ethX.  And if that's not readable by
the user (as with wireless in RH9), then it won't work.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx