Re: Got 2.5.68 kernel up

Chris Chabot wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Audioslave - 7M3 - Live" <creed7m3live@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks everyone for your advice, for the kernel builds. The modules and
kernel for 2.5.68 finally came up.
I'll get to see how well the cd burner and other features work. Speed
and CDR reliability are my main reasons for checking out this build.

Congrats! My experiances so far have been very positive (Ofcource only after patching modutils and changing the initscripts and modules.conf). You got all your kernel messages and consoles working to? Seems to be the trickiest part for a lot of ppl

I installed the source rpm from Rusty's directory. I grabbed the other gzipped file and compiled it, but didn't install it. I was afraid of messing up the modules for shrike Red Hat kernel versions.

I'll get to those when it seems safer.

I've used 2.5.x with patched nvidia drivers, and the results are nothing
short of amazing. The whole system feels a lot faster and more responsive
with the kernel improvements & fast drivers. Definatly makes you hope that
the future will be here soon! ;-)

I'd like to see it get to the 2.6 level soon. I haven't really tried it out much yet. It looks good so far.

I've done CD & DVD burning, watched movies on my tv via nvidia's svideo out, done heavy disk & network io, etc without a single glitch so far (ok, one or two crashes, but thats to be expected w/ experimental kernels). So i would hope your experiances will be the same..

I'll use the stock kernel for rpm upgrading. I'm not sure of any site that has 2.5 ready rpms currently.

I just ftped some oggs, from my website computer, to this computer and tried out xmms. The audio quality seems to be a heck of a lot cleaner. But this might be just because of the excitement. The seperation and sound depth seem to be better.

Lets us know how it works out ok?
(ps, have you upgraded your rpm version? the db locking will screw up with
rh 9's version when used with a 2.5 kernel. Otherwise a workaround is
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 rpm..)

Thanks for the additional information.

Jim

Ps, Can anyone comment on how native posix threads w/ the 2.5 kernel series perform? Same better or worse then rh's 2.4 kernel?

-- Chris