Re: bash/terminal issue

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 02:46, anthony baldwin wrote:
> Okay,
> I solved my OpenOffice.org issue by downloading the latest 1.0.3.1
> amnd installing it.  Works great and has some nice new features, like
> write to .pdf without the postscript, etc.

Indeed the pdf functionality is an excellent enhancement.

> I am still concerned over my console.
> I have found that I can still do most stuff from the bash command line
> anyway, but not everything.

There is nothing you can *not* do from the command line if you are root
except turn Bill Gates in a Gnome (under development).

> For instance, in the old console I could run /sbin/ifup as a user,
> but bash tells me that only user can do it.
> When I first upgraded I had not trouble doing it, but second log in and since
> I have had this issue.
>
> I miss my old console.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

> Also, continuation of an issue I had with Psyche.  I have downloaded and installed
> the latest jre from sun, but openoffice.org didn't recognize it on install.
> If I try to install it again, rpm tells me that it is installed already.
> Dunno if this is an OOo issue or OS issue.

How did you install the jre? Was it an rpm or the tarball? Did you
follow everything in the README, INSTALL, other instructional documents
of both the jre and OOo packages? Did you export the java directory so
it is in your path so OOo can find it during install? If you do "echo
$PATH" from the command line (without the quotes) does the java dir show
up in your path? Not much to go on here.

If you ask questions it is more helpful to be more precise what you
*exactly* did (describe commands literally, as root or not, and what the
results where (cut 'n past the relevant output from the command line).

The quality of the answers you may get is directly related to the info
you give. Old adagium: garbage in, garbage out.

Cheers,
Patrick