Strange IMAP problem with Evolution

I'm attempting to modify my home e-mail setup to use IMAP and am seeing
some very strange behavior.  Currently, I'm using fetchmail to collect
all my mail from a couple of different accounts and drop it into a local
account on my workstation/server.  Then, I'm using Evolution to pick up
that mail from the mbox account.  I've also got SquirrelMail running for
remote access.  Everything works except that if I leave Evolution
running it will move the mail ot its folders and make SquirrelMail
useless.

So, I wanted to switch Evolution over to using IMAP.  Seems simple
enough.  SquirrelMail is already using it, so it should be just a config
switch for Evolution.  Not quite that simple.  First, let me say that I
have tried these steps on both RedHat 7.3 and 9 without any luck.
Basically, I've found the following:
1.  IMAP and POP3 are both enabled in xinetd.d
2.  Evolution will not pick up my mail using an IMAP configuration.
3.  SquirrelMail works fine with IMAP.
4.  Evolution will work find when configured to pick up mail from mbox
or POP.
5.  Mozilla Mail will work when configured to use IMAP.

Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Thanks,
--
Brian Hanks <brice@xxxxxxxxxx>