libflashplayer, dependencies, package mgmt.-APT

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:55:19 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Flash Plugin
>From: "Paul Vandenberg" <paulvandenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Does anybody know where I can get an RPM for flash player that will
>work with Shrike? I tried the macromedia site that had a link to some
>RPMS. There was one for Red Hat 9, but it had a bizarre dependency
>of......
>
>libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
>
>I don't even know where to begin with that.
>
>Thanks in advance!

I have not tried this yet, because I just upgraded yesterday
and have done nothing yet, but, my suggestion would be to
download apt-get, it is Debian's package mgmt system, but
when you "apt-get install libflashplayer" or any other package,
it should download and install any required libraries as well.
This pkg mgmt tool is so nifty it has provoked me to
consider moving to Debian, but the many, many advantages of
Red Hat have caused me to remain loyal after all, since,
Once can use apt-get with RH, too, anyway.
I'll try it and get back to you.
Another similar, very useful package manager is "yum".

Learn more here: http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/
and here: http://bazar.conectiva.com.br/~godoy/apt-howto/

A note, I have only been using Linux for about a year, so I am
still a relative newbie, and I have found the use of these tools to
be incredibly simple.

tony

>During the Lenten Season, please help support the mission of
>Catholic Online by purchasing goods and services from our sponsors
>at http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!

-