Perl/Perl modules/OpenSSL/pod2man problems

(A previous attempt to submit this never appeared, the mailing list
email problems again, perhaps?

Attempting to make the Net::SSLeay module in the normal fashion
(perl Makefile.pl/make) causes:
[First perl Makefile.pl invocation]
> *** Could not figure out which C compiler was used to compile /usr/bin/openssl. It is essentiall that OpenSSL, perl, and
Net::SSLeay are compiled with the same compiler and flags. Mixing and matching compilers is not supported. at Makefile.PL line
132.
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
>
> Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
>          your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'
>
> Writing Makefile for Net::SSLeay::Handle
>
> Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
>          your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'
>
> Writing Makefile for Net::SSLeay
> [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]#

First, explanation as to these odd warnings?  Has Red Hat compiled OpenSSL and Perl
with different compiler than is present in Shrike?  Why the warning about pod2man,
which is indeed in /usr/bin/pod2man and the path?

On to the first make attempt:

> [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]# make
> Makefile:88: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Researching in this list found only the following:

> > Anyone having problems with installing Perl Modules. I am
> > having a lot of problems getting them to compile and
> > install. I have tried using CPAN and downloading the
> > source. Either way they fail. Most fail complaining about
> > the Makefile being wrong. Any help or suggestions?
>
> Yep. Known issue. All due to Unicode. You have a couple of choices but the easiest one is to edit your /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
the following:

> LANG="en_US.en"
> SUPPORTED="en_US.en"
> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
>
> and then try it again. Should work.
>
> jb

When I tried this (unfortunately, I am unaware of the other "choices"),
the following happens:

> [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]# perl Makefile.PL
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LANG = "en_US.en"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> Checking for OpenSSL-0.9.6g or newer...
> You have OpenSSL-0.9.7a installed in /usr
> That's is newer than what this module was tested with (0.9.6g). You should
> consider checking if there is a newer release of this module
> available. Everything will probably work OK, though.
> *** Could not figure out which C compiler was used to compile /usr/bin/openssl. It is essentiall that OpenSSL, perl, and
Net::SSLeay are compiled with the same compiler and flags. Mixing and matching compilers is not supported. at Makefile.PL line
132.
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Looks good
> Writing Makefile for Net::SSLeay::Handle
> Running '/usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp temp000 2>&1' exits with status 1 at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 3852.
> Writing Makefile for Net::SSLeay
> [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]# make
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LANG = "en_US.en"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

[ same string of error messages repeated several times ]

> cp ptrtstrun.pl blib/lib/Net/ptrtstrun.pl
> cp SSLeay.pm blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm
> AutoSplitting blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm (blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay)
> blib/lib/Net/SSLeay.pm: some names are not unique when truncated to 8 characters:
>  directory blib/lib/auto/Net/SSLeay:
>   do_https3.al, do_https2.al, do_https4.al, do_https.al truncate to do_https
>   get_https.al, get_https3.al, get_https4.al truncate to get_http
>   head_https.al, head_https3.al, head_https4.al truncate to head_htt
>   post_https.al, post_https3.al, post_https4.al truncate to post_htt
>   put_https.al, put_https3.al, put_https4.al truncate to put_http
>   ssl_read_all.al, ssl_read_until.al, ssl_read_CRLF.al truncate to ssl_read
>   ssl_write_all.al, ssl_write_CRLF.al truncate to ssl_writ
> make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22/Net-SSLeay-Handle-0.50'
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LANG = "en_US.en"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
[ and another huge string of repeatted error message ]
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22/Net-SSLeay-Handle-0.50'
> /usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  SSLeay.xs
> SSLeay.xsc && mv SSLeay.xsc SSLeay.c
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_COLLATE = "C",
>         LANG = "en_US.en"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

gcc -c  -I/usr/include -I/usr/inc32 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local
/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O   -DVERSION=\"1.22\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.22\" -fPIC
"-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DPERL5 SSLeay.c
> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from SSLeay.xs:87:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from SSLeay.xs:87:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:132: parse error before "krb5_enctype"
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:134: parse error before "FAR"
[and a pile more of the parse errors]
> /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:931: parse error before '}' token
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_state_string':
> SSLeay.c:2597: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_rstate_string':
> SSLeay.c:2614: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_state_string_long':
> SSLeay.c:2631: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_rstate_string_long':
> SSLeay.c:2648: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_alert_desc_string':
> SSLeay.c:4729: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_alert_desc_string_long':
> SSLeay.c:4746: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_alert_type_string':
> SSLeay.c:4763: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_alert_type_string_long':
> SSLeay.c:4780: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
> SSLeay.xs: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_get_client_random':
> SSLeay.xs:3411: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> SSLeay.xs: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_get_server_random':
> SSLeay.xs:3418: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> make: *** [SSLeay.o] Error 1
> [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]#

Am I missing some *optional* Red Hat components that are required to build
*standard* Perl CPAN modules (or set up the locale to do so, which is in
practice the same thing) or what?

According to the Net::SSLeay documentation:

> RedHat 9.0 is broken (complain to RedHat about that). Only supported way to build Net::SSLeay (on any platform) is
>
>    1. Make note of which C compiler you are using (possibly set your PATH appropriately)
>    2. Build openssl from sources (do not use those evil binaries or rpms or whatever packages)
>    3. Build perl from sources with same compiler and substantially same compiler flags as you used for openssl (do not use
evil binaries)
>    4. Build Net::SSLeay from sources against the perl and openssl you built in previous steps
>
> Do not write me complaining about the brokenness of RedHat 9. If you do not follow above receipe, I will ignore your support
request. If I get too many RedHat 9 mails, I'll add them to my spam filter.

Clearly there seems to me a difference of opinion between this and Red Hat's views. I
am only concerned with whether or not it is going to be fixed; otherwise the company
I work for will have to, evidently, shift to another still-compatable distribution.
--
Norm Mackey