Re: Perl/Perl modules/OpenSSL/pod2man problems

---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Norm Mackey" <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:03:15 -0700
Subject: Perl/Perl modules/OpenSSL/pod2man problems

> (A previous attempt to submit this never appeared, the mailing list
> email problems again, perhaps?
>
> Attempting to make the Net::SSLeay module in the normal fashion
> (perl Makefile.pl/make) causes:
> [First perl Makefile.pl invocation]
> > *** Could not figure out which C compiler was used to compile
/usr/bin/openssl. It is essentiall that OpenSSL, perl, and
> Net::SSLeay are compiled with the same compiler and flags. Mixing
> and matching compilers is not supported. at Makefile.PL line 132.
> > Checking if your kit is complete...
> > Looks good
> > Checking if your kit is complete...
> > Looks good
> >
> > Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
> >          your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

> > > Anyone having problems with installing Perl Modules. I am
> > > having a lot of problems getting them to compile and
> > > install. I have tried using CPAN and downloading the
> > > source. Either way they fail. Most fail complaining about
> > > the Makefile being wrong. Any help or suggestions?

I had very much the same problem trying to use CPAN to update CPAN. The export
LANG cleared it up.

> > Yep. Known issue. All due to Unicode. You have a couple of choices but the
easiest one is to edit your /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
> the following:
> >
> > LANG="en_US.en"
> > SUPPORTED="en_US.en"
> > SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
> > LC_COLLATE="C"
> >
> > and then try it again. Should work.
> >
> > jb
>
> When I tried this (unfortunately, I am unaware of the other
> "choices"), the following happens:
>
> > [root@xxx Net_SSLeay.pm-1.22]# perl Makefile.PL
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >         LANGUAGE = (unset),
> >         LC_ALL = (unset),
> >         LC_COLLATE = "C",
> >         LANG = "en_US.en"
> >     are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

I had much the same results trying the same change. I put it back to the
original and then just put export LANG=en_US in /etc/bashrc.

Works for me, might not for you.

[snip]

> Am I missing some *optional* Red Hat components that are required to
> build *standard* Perl CPAN modules (or set up the locale to do so,
> which is in practice the same thing) or what?

If the export LANG=en_US does not work for you, then maybe someone much more
knowledgeable than I can help.

I suspect that if you used CPAN to upgrade CPAN you will get the same type of
errors until you do the export.

------- End of Original Message -------

HTHs