Re: Sharing up2date downloads.

6:54am Richard said:

>The instalation here was a bit changed now i have a gateway/firewall
>dedicated amchine with some servers on it. It occured to me that if
>i had both machines use the same downloaded files in /var/spool/up2date
>i would save download time and save some bandwidth on the RH server.

Take a look at the -k/--packagedir option. It will create only symlinks in
/var/spool/up2date and allow all your servers to share a centralized pile
of rpms.

 # up2date -k/inst/linux/redhat/updates/9/en/os/* -i ethereal

You must first populate the packagedir. Which can be done easily by
syncing the updates/9 directory on your favorite Red Hat mirror site.

I do this in a couple different data centers. And as a good colo neighbor,
share it out to my LAN peers. Now up2date runs quicker (no delay for
download) and less upstream bandwidth is consumed.

However for ethical/soapbox reasons, I only allow access to LAN peers I
know and trust to have paid for the RHN. And it behooves my peers to ensure
they are using the RPM-GPG-KEY to ensure that I don't do something evil.

../C