Memory Leaks ?

Is anyone else seeing this:

My laptop has 512MB RAM.  When I first boot into X, about 25% of my
memory is being used - I can live with that.  Then I open some apps, say
Mozilla, and I jump up to 59% memory utilization.  If I close all the
running apps, my % of memory utilization NEVER decreases.  If I open up
apps again, it just gets worse and "builds" from where it was.  Today
the laptop was running for about 8 or 9 hours and before I shut it down
I was pegged at 100% memory utilization with no apps running.  I used
top and the system monitor to try to figure out what was using all of
it, but nothing really stood out as using a lot.  I plan on doing some
more digging and trying to figure out where / what the problem is - I
just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone else is
experiencing similar issues.

Thanks,

Jed