empty "Start Here" folder!!

Elton,

I really dunno if it's related, so take it as you will.  (I think it was
with Phoebe,) I had a problem where double-clicking Start Here or User's
Home would produce a terminal window that shows what I assume the icon
really is...something like a shortcut file.  It seemed to happen in
response to closing X with a ctrl-alt-backspace.  (There weren't any
frozen programs.  I was just demonstrating.  Then some folders stopped
working.)  I tried everything I could think of, including a very
confusing message that came up about cache on the desktop or something
like that.  I ended up copying a good desktop from another computer.  I
had to change "Anna" to "User" everywhere, but it seemed to work okay
after that.

That's not the only weird thing that happened to those desktop icons in
Phoebe after a ctrl-alt-backspace, so I finally learned to try killing
stuff from another virtual terminal.  :-p

In Nautilus (at least in Psyche), it lists the Start Here folder as
being in "start-here:///".  That sure doesn't sound right.  Would that
mean it treats it like a protocol?  Or is that something GNOME does?
other file (and internet) browsers don't see it...

Of course, your problem is different.  You get the folder to open, but
there's nothing in it.  If it's truly a protocol, it probably had a
stroke.

Here's a fun experiment.  Clicking on "Preferences" brings up
preferences:///.  See if that works.  If it does, maybe it just
misplaced some entries (or maybe you can circumvent the folder by
creating new shortcuts to preferences:///).

I'd also suggest trying to rename the .gnome-desktop file to see if it
automatically creates a new one.  If it does, and if Start Here works,
then you'll have a good file to compare with.

Any idea if it makes a new Start Here folder for new users?  If so,
maybe you can create a new user and either copy a file or migrate
(migraine) some files over.