Re: Smb mount problem

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 06:30, Igor NestoroviÄ wrote:
> As reported on News groups, there seem to exist a problem affecting
> mounting Windows shares with smb-client.
> It looks there's no time out here.
> Example. When I put mount -t smbfs commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to
> mount four Windows shares, the system hangs during the boot proces,
> never making to the login screen.
> But get this. Trying to mount from a console, on at least one mount
> command I don't get prompt back, like it have never finished the task,
> BUT IT DID. CTRL-C and quick check on the local mount point shows all
> OK, task is finished sucessfully.
> Anyone?

Yes, I have this same problem whenever my fstab is setup a 'certain'
way. So far I haven't found what the pattern is, but it's quite
annoying. I haven't been able to track down exactly what causes it, I
would suggest placing all of your smb shares in /etc/fstab instead of
rc.local, somewhat similar to this:

//machine/share /directory smbfs uid=user,gid=group,username=smbusername,password=smbpasswd,rw

I've found that this usually works for me, I played around with the
various options on the shares I had in /etc/fstab by commenting out all
of them and uncommenting them one by one after doing a umount -a -tsmbfs
and mount -a -tsmbfs from the command line after booting.

--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.warpcore.org/