Re: Emergency: PCMCIA stopped working after non-clean shutdown

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 04:02, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> There is a pcmcia lock file in /var/lock, a cardmgr.pid file in /var/run,
> and a stab file in /var/lib/pcmcia.  I don't know what the symptoms would
> be if any of these were left behind.

Matthew if you lived anywhere near me I would be buying you more beer
than you'd know what to do with. Deleting /var/lib/pcmcia/stab did the
trick. I had looked in /var/lock and /var/run already, but it would
never have occurred to me to look in /var/lib/pcmcia! Thank you thank
you thank you!

BUT: should this have happened? I mean, should the INIT script just
indefinitely stop when it finds something it doesn't like, like this?
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or just a fact about how these things
work, but if anyone thinks the fact that I simply couldn't start my
machine (normally) again after an unclean shutdown is not the proper
state of affairs then I'll file a bug. I'd have at least thought that
PCMCIA would time out and the rest of the boot would have continued as
normal, and then hopefully there would have been something in the log
files that would have helped me solve the problem. But having the
machine just halt at boot like this (I left it for ages) and nothing
happen doesn't seem right.

Thank you Matthew again!

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com